Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Perogies

So this afternoon while at work I decided that I would try my hand at cooking perogies from scratch. I mean not just buying some perogies and altering what you have with them but making the dough, the insides and cooking them up. So first I went and found a recipe online. Not hard to do with this amazing series of tubes that make the interweb that allow us to find everything we need. So I made the dough exactly to the recipe. I figured I wouldn't want to adjust everything instantly. Now the fun part the filling. First I made mashed potatoes. I then cut up Jalepeno peppers from my garden and fried them up in some olive oil with onion and mushrooms. Next I mashed this with the potatoes added a bit of salt and pepper and some crushed peppers. I then decided that spicy goes well with some feta cheese. So I then added a bunch of feta to taste. Sure I know this isn't exactly what my Polish roots would call for maybe a bit more like what a Greek would make but let me tell you the final result was amazing. Next time you want an amazing meal try some home made perogies 100% worth the added preparation time.
The boil is full of the delicious filling, to the right the dough
A few perogies ready to go in the boiling pot
The final product, add a bit of salsa and sour cream and wala!

I must say that it was a nice change to a normal dinner. Also the filling I will be using tomorrow. It is amazing how potatoes with some onion and it just tastes like a perogie should.

1 comment: